“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” – Dalai Lama
As the Dalai Lama says, compassion creates happy. There are few simpler ways to grow the heart than by taking a few moments to re-direct confused energy in a positive way. The below is a simple exercise that you can do anytime that you are not feeling the most compassionate, that is sure to develop more warmth in your heart and spring in your step.
Begin by envisioning someone in your life that you think could use some extra light and love. This could be a friend that has crossed you, a spouse you are fighting with, a stranger on the subway who stepped on your toe…
Picturing this person in your mind’s eye, tell yourself:
- Step 1: “Just like me, this person is seeking happiness in his/her life.”
- Step 2: “Just like me, this person is trying to avoid suffering in his/her life.”
- Step 3: “Just like me, this person has known sadness, loneliness and despair.”
- Step 4: “Just like me, this person is seeking to fill his/her needs.”
- Step 5: “Just like me, this person is learning about life.”
Sit. Breathe. Love. Notice how you feel.