14 Tips from Hacienda’s Raw Food Instructor & Yoga Teacher, Meg Pearson
Well, here we are already, kicking off week two of 2014! Have you been keeping up with the promises you made yourself when the clock struck midnight on the first of the month?
The start of a new year has long been known as the time to resolute change; a chance to once again recommit to improving health, reaching goals, and sometimes drastically altering our ways of living in order to achieve those things.
Now, that said, I am not actually an advocate of the “New Year’s Resolution”. Alternatively, I think it wise to keep various purposeful projects (and wellness plans) going all year long, and to me the New Year merely represents yet another checkpoint. It is an opportunity to take a step back, take a deep breath, and then take stock of where you have been, where you are, and where you would like to eventually be. So today, I would like to offer up a few of my ideas about how anyone can start making 2014 a year full of love, happy life, and laughter, and also a time for making some small and manageable, yet very impact-full changes for better health.
- Start from where you are. Be honest with yourself, and even if it is one step forward, two steps back, you will eventually make the progress you desire. Don’t try to change too much at once either; tackle challenges in realistic increments, and be okay with that.
- Eat more green (plant) food.
- Be in the moment. This is one that I still struggle with every day, but since consciously working to simply “be”, my quality of life and overall happiness levels have shot through the roof! I have started reciting a mantra to remind me to be present – sometimes something as simple as “I am here” can do the trick. Pay attention.
- Show Up. For your life, your friends, your family, and yourself. And really listen.
- Breathe. Deeply and often.
- Cook at home – learn three delicious and healthy recipes that can become your “go-to” meals when you want to give the gift of good food to your loved ones! we have some great options here on the blog!
- Smile. At strangers. And to yourself. You will instantly feel better and will make others smile too.
- Dress to feel your best; trends are fun, but wear what makes you feel most beautiful.
- Move your body every day. For at least 30 minutes. Walk. Dance. Run. Yoga. Skip!
- Offer yourself to others. Volunteer. Read to your children more. Play a board game with your elderly relative. Hold the door.
- Eat more plant protein, less animal. Try hemp hearts, tempeh, chia seeds, and test out some yummy nut and seed butters!
- Take risks. Step outside your comfort zone and take a leap of faith.
- Stop counting calories if you can. Please. Eat lots of plants, whole foods, and limit of eliminate processed and fried foods. You will feel better physically and emotionally. Nutrition in equals energy out!
- And most importantly: Love. Your life, your friends, your family, YOU
Oh, and now’s a great time to book in for that wellness vacation you may have been putting off! Come cleanse with us!